Tabletop Exercise - October 2016
One of your organization’s internal departments frequently uses outside cloud storage to store large amounts of data, some of which may be considered sensitive. You have recently learned that the cloud storage provider that is being used has been publicly compromised and large amounts of data have been exposed. All user passwords and data in the cloud provider’s infrastructure may have been compromised.
Items to discuss:
- What steps will your organization take?
- Does your organization have current policies that take into account third party cloud storage?
- Should your organization still be held accountable for the data breach?
- What actions and procedures would be different if this was a data breach on your own local area network?
- What should management do? Who else in the organization should be involved?
- What, if anything, do you tell your constituents? How and when would you notify them?
Items to report:
- Did communications flow as expected? If not, why?
- Were processes and procedures followed?
- Were there any surprises?
- How well did the exercise work for your organization?