What do I do if my updates don’t install?
All of us know that a good first line of defense in protecting our systems is to keep Windows updated. For CTS, our Windows updates are tested and installed automatically. You can verify your system is up to date by going to Microsoft Update and then Check for updates.
If you see an error or if you have reason to believe that your Windows updates are not installing, contact the CTS Service Desk (360) 753-2454.
But what about your home machine? As the CTS Service Desk isn’t an option, here is an easy solution you can try…
To troubleshoot Microsoft Update in Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP
If your computer is running Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP and your updates don’t install, you can use the Windows Update troubleshooter to find and fix problems. To open the troubleshooter:
- Click the Start button.
- In the search box, type Troubleshooter.
- In the results list, click Find and fix problems.
- Under System and Security, click Fix problems with Windows Update.
To troubleshoot Microsoft Update in Windows 8
Windows 8 has an automatic troubleshooter that can fix some common problems with Windows Update. To open the troubleshooter:
- Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
- If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Search.
- In the search box, type Troubleshooting.
- Tap or click Settings, and then tap or click Troubleshooting.
- Under System and Security, tap or click Fix problems with Windows Update.